Monday, February 20, 2012

The Kremlin

Being able to go inside the Kremlin was an amazing experience.  It's the one thing I've wanted to do more than any others since I've been here.  It didn't disappoint.  It's funny how I've come to learn about the Kremlin.  I've learned little through books in the classroom or lectures from a teacher.  The knowledge that stuck and I found interesting was picked up from computer games .  As a boy playing games that allowed you to build buildings known around the world to benefit your chosen country, I was able to learn about the Kremlin.  Who said video games aren't educational?

As always over here there was a big language barrier while inside the buildings.  Most of the displays were only in Russian and out of respect we had to keep our voices down.  Sometimes I understood, and I'm sure sometimes I got my facts crossed up.  This blog is my best attempt to convey what I think I learned during my experience.

What little I knew or believed to know was certainly challenged once I found myself within the confines of the giant walls of brick.  The grandest thing were the cathedrals within the Kremlin.  The Archangel Cathedral was the most interesting to me.  It housed the Tsars of Russian history.  One of which was Ivan the Terrible (or Grozny as I should probably refer to him on this blog).  While inside the cathedral, you were able to view all of the former Tsars of Russia and their tombs.  However you were not able to see Ivan the Terrible.  From what I understood he was behind the wall near the altar of the cathedral.  There are walls within the cathedrals that separate the main rooms from the altar.  I also understood that only priests were allowed past the altar with one exception.  As children are christened, priests are able to take baby boys behind the wall to the altar.  However, baby girls can only approach the wall with the priest and are not allowed past it.  I don't know if that is a lost tradition or if it is a rare occurrence, as we did not see this custom occur while we were there.  One of the other cathedrals housed the altar/pew where Ivan the Terrible spent time repenting for his deeds as he neared death through old age.  We weren't allowed to take pictures while inside any of the buildings.  You'll just have to visit for yourself.  The painted images alone are breathtaking.  To give you an idea, Archangel Cathedral was built in 1505, the Assumption Cathedral was built in 1475, and the Church of the Deposition was built in 1485.  These are the three cathedrals we entered.

Prior to going in I knew of the Armory (big yellow building in the pictures) and the Bell Tower and thought that was what I was most excited about, other than just being inside the Kremlin.  I failed to realize just how important religion was during war in past centuries.  I probably need to brush up on my history before I try to convey the info I was told during my visit, but here goes.  From what I understood at one time Russia was in conflict between the cities of Moscow and Kiev.  Both cities wanted to be the capital, while the rest of the country was in chaos for lack of a centralized government.  The head priest resided in Kiev, which gave them the power because the people followed religious power.  This is when one of the cathedrals was built within the walls of the Kremlin in an effort to bring the head priest to Moscow from Kiev.  That's what happened and that's why Moscow is the current capital of Russia (from my understanding).

Other notable sites were the Tsar Cannon and the Tsar Bell.  I had never heard of this cannon until one of the American students mentioned it.  It's a cannon that is 5.34 meters long and weighs 40 tons.  It's as big as Russia is cold.  From what I understood it was made to guard the entrance to the Kremlin and has never been shot.  The Tsar Bell is 6.14 meters high, 6.6 meters in diameter and weighs 200 tons.  Yes, 200 tons.  It used to hang up in a tower but there was a fire, it fell and it became damaged.  The piece that fell off of the tower only weighs 11 tons.  Only.

I can't describe the experience.  It was definitely one that will define my trip here.  Next time I'm playing one of those games, I'll probably build the Kremlin the first chance I get.

















1 comment:

  1. Marcus,

    You are correct in observing that only priests are allowed behind the altar. The walls inside the cathedral that you mention are called an iconostasis (or an icon stand) and every Orthodox Church has it. This is where images of Christ and the Virgin and Child and angels are depicted. Iconostasis forms three doors, the one in the middle is called the Holy Doors and only priests and deacons are allowed to go through those doors (behind the altar). The reasons why altar service is restricted to male priests and deacons and also why the Orthodox Church does not ordain females are simply because the Church cannot change any sacred traditions, some of them established by Christ himself. He didn't choose women to be His apostles, for example. However, women can and do serve and participate in the church life in many other ways. Also, pious female worshipers will not take communion or even go inside the church during certain days of the month. It is a very old and important tradition which was, and probably, still is strictly observed by those who are profoundly religious. Enjoy the remainder of your stay in Moscow and thanks again for the interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete